View Single Post
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@Estel - did I manage to do it on time for the concert you was talking about ?
Yea, thank You for that. My plans changed, cause I got my ticket upgraded (by Artist herself) from 74th row, balcony, to 1st row - kinda impossible for "sneaky" recording, but I was very happy for obvious reasons.

I managed to record 30 minutes encore (when everyone was out of chairs, standing near the scene, so security got no means of acting), holding N900 still, by using stage itself as tripod - but, at end, camera-ui failed to save 650 MB file correctly (to be precise, video stream was saved, but mp4 header got totally corrupted). It's my fault, at least partially - I thought, that after "snapshot" of saved video appeared (with options to view, delete etc), saving is finished, so I closed camera-ui. It got stuck on exit, so I killed it from within Maemo - results were catastrophic. It seems, that for big files, saving process is still going background, even after video seems to be saved by "common sense".

After a week-long video recovering saga (mp4 is the *****iest format, when it goes to errors in header...), reading tons of quicktime documentation, I managed to kinda fix it via hex editor - but strange effect happened to video. Every 5 seconds of it looks like - perfect picture (like made from keyframes only), turning into worse and worse one, to barely tolerable (like made of B frames only) - then, turning instantly to perfect one, and so goes on through whole video, 5 seconds-long cycles. A the same time, video timeline flow (i.e what was happening) *isn't* affected - so, frames aren't "shuffled". I haven't seen something like that before, and I'm not sure how it is possible - thought that keyframes and b-frames are saved in stream, during recording, so corrupted header, or saving errors, can't affect them - but, still, it doesn't seem to be fixable by any means.

Sorry for long, quite off-topic post.

/Estel

// Edit

Is there a way, to make camera-ui inform user about saving process still going on? After that fail, I know how to workaround'ish check it - just need to switch from video mode to photo mode (it *won't* switch, until saving is finished - can occur only, when saving big video files), but it's hardly a proper solution. Some "saving in progress" indicator - if it's possible - would be great.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-11-05 at 14:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: