View Single Post
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Guys. We understand that 512MB RAM might be a bit low for todays standards. I'd LOVE to see 1GB in Neo900, it just might be not possible.

Still, 512MB is two times amount of RAM in N900. It should provide major performance boosts itself.

See, when it comes to mobile, there's no easy distinction between CPU and RAM like you have with desktops or laptops. You can only buy complete packages with CPU, RAM and maybe some GPU included.

Finding and buying such package can be major obstacle due to our low quantities. You can't just go to shop and say "I'd like to have 200 SoCs". Distributors work with thousands, even millions. Setting everything up just for three-digit amount is unprofitable for them.

You might get lucky and hear "oh, Apple is using those in new run next month, there probably will be some leftovers". You might find some 3rd party stocks. But you cannot take it for granted.

We'll use the best we can find and what can be used without major board redesigning. Option with 512MB seems to be pretty safe, that's why we're mentioning it now, but it might change later.

Or not.

I still think it's better to say "hey guys, look, we were able to upgrade specs and it's now with 1GB RAM!" than "uhm, sorry, we weren't able to get 1GB, so it'll have only 512MB" :P

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post: