View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by guisoliver View Post
For me, a operating system is only a system that communicates the low level hardware with applications, and the peoples uses only applications, don't need what O.S peoples uses, we only uses aplications.

Well, we are in app-centric "age", now it's needed to have Android or iPhone, or Windows for x86 to have access to the world. It's really needed? I think that is not true. I am using Maemo and i think that this system and with few apps, i have everything that i need for everyday.
The real problem is that the manufacturers creating all this hardware have no incentive to support cross-platform development. For whatever reason, we've constructed a world that rewards those who build incompatible products. Microsoft earned its fortune by creating and maintaining a monopoly over the desktop computer operating system; it could not have done so if the software that runs on Windows could run on any other OS. Apple has just become the world's richest corporation (in terms of stock valuation at least) based mainly on products running the very closed iOS operating system.

It seems extremely unlikely for cross-platform development to gain more traction until it starts receiving the kind of support that incompatible products currently get.

Who here don't uses Windows 7?
I don't. I tried it for a while a few years ago, then threw it away and installed Linux on my PC. Windows is pretty, but I'm more comfortable with Linux.