View Single Post
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Pune, India
Thank you for taking the time to try locationd out. First, answers to your queries:

Originally Posted by ny-hardcore View Post
Thank you for making this!

I tried this yesterday and it seems to work ...

I see in the dbus-monitor that dbus events are being sent when i query current_location and nearby_location
I suspect that dbus signals are sent when a location is nearby?
is there a treshold that defines "nearby"?
Yes, there are two (arbitrarily-chosen) thresholds involved. First, locationd ignores GPS updates with the horizontal accuracy (eph) greater than 100 metres. Second, the threshold that defines "nearby" is 50 metres. This threshold will be configurable in a future version.

Is it possible to provide a sample dbus-scripts
rule for the nearby signal?
I want to try if i can start/stop fmtx and mediaplayer based on location
Sure. The first thing you need to do is to run dbus-scripts on the session bus, because that's where locationd is generating its signals. The dbusscripts wiki page has instructions on how to do this. Then add a file in the /etc/dbus-scripts.d directory with the following contents (this is what I did, feel free to customize as needed):

Code:
/home/user/bin/log-location * * net.locationd poi_nearby
/home/user/bin/log-location * * net.locationd poi_distant
Then create the script /home/user/bin/log-location to do what you need it to. I simply dumped the arguments to a file, and ended up with a file looking like this:

Code:
:1.797 null net.locationd poi_nearby home
You can write the script in whatever language you are comfortable with. And you can perform any action depending on the arguments you get.

furthermore, do you have plans on making a GUI for editing the places.csv?
If not I am willing to give it a go
(i have no python experience. but seems like a nice starting project)
Please try out the latest revision of locationd from https://bitbucket.org/kushal_kumaran...iond/downloads. This adds a script, and a dbus method to add the current location to places.csv. Simple usage instructions are on the wiki at https://bitbucket.org/kushal_kumaran...iond/wiki/Home.

I haven't myself started any work on a GUI (I plead the real-life-intervened excuse) but I do have plans there. Feel free to work on it if you like, because I don't yet know how long it will take me to finish it. I'm in way over my head here with technologies I'm not fully familiar with yet (dbus, gtk, maemo widgets, debian packaging).

The Following User Says Thank You to kushal.kumaran For This Useful Post: