View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
@community: We must resist viewing Quim as only a Nokia employee and repeat questions for him that he can't answer. We'll only make him repeat answers we already know, make him not want to come over here and start these useful threads.

@Quim: please take the shirt off. I don't think the Nokia you has to offer anything more except whatever you have already told us. On the other hand I think you as Quim has much to offer, through personal involment and the deep experience with communities and free software.

That said, I propose we create a task force for investigating new device proposals (as someone already mentioned). There needs to be at least one developer with kernel and driver knowledge, one community representative to speak with whoever needs to be spoken and one tester willing to spend time helping the developer have something that hints to the successful porting of (insert software stack here) to the candidate hardware.

My proposal is to take this approach in five steps

1. Create a poll where general type of device will be decided (will it be a tablet, phone, netbook etc) There is much to talk about here as some devices have broader acceptance, some have inherent issues with porting our software on them, some are less 'mobile' but are easier to run anything on them. A final statement should emerge of the style: The candidate devices should be tablets with phone functionality between 5 and 7 inches or The candidate devices should be touch enabled with at least 1GB of ram

2. Accept nominations and elect a 'new device taskforce'. A group of three or more people with the task to gather info about candidate devices and lay the pros and cons out in a public place (wiki?). Then we will have to rule some out and stay with a single digit number of devices

3. Gather some funds and purchase one of each of those candidate devices. Hand them off to major developers here with the sole obligation from them to do their best to have something working on them in a time span of 3 months. Results should be publicly available.

4. At the end of the 3 month period we should compare the results. Rule out the devices where a wall was hit and choose the most promising one or two.

5a. We proclaim one or two devices 'hero device of maemo.org' and urge members looking for a new device to go for it. Actively and timely create a new subforum for the new device. Assemble funds and send a number of devices to key developers to create traction.

5b. None of the devices is good enough, day to day use seems a distant dream, where we won't get before the device is already obsolete. We must be wary of this scenario because if we choose a device which has major roadblocks (e.g. smartphone with no calling functions possible due to driver issues) we are in danger to never gain the needed traction and delay the possible fix even more thus turning to vaporware. If we find that this is the case we should start discussing again whether a new hardware project like openpandora is the way to go.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post: