View Single Post
a gstreamer based remote desktop (only video at the moment) streaming client and streamer mostly written in python.

(vnc like but for low bandwith networks but needs a good server cpu (recomment 2ghz dual core (cant have enough of that))
What does it? I made videos for you: n900 connected to openvpn via 3g connected to dsl server serving the desktop,
browsing the net and watching a "HD" youtube video. (sorry for bad quality my n900 was in use, videos are in alpa.tar.gz)

First: All is done at your own risk! Look at the code if you are unsure.

Features:
video is x264 encoded
you can zoom and scroll remotely
basic keyboard support
touchscreen cant act as mouse-touchpad-relative-"view follows pointer" (hoover mode possible),
touchscreen-absolute input or just as scroll device
volume keys act as mousekeys (first click acts strange somehow(shows volume bar again))
network is udp based
supposed to work over 300 ms, 1 mbit network connection (so 3g client to dsl server was the goal
(there is room for improvement))
python based: easy hackable!
n900 uses dsp! (amazing)

ugly things:
you probably have to compile a gstreamer plugin for the server side, the cheap way i do it, is messy and takes a while
everything is barely working
i guess it is a security nightmare (but it is assumed to work over a vpn, trusted enviroment)
there are useless buttons and text entrys

known bugs:
this is alpha.. endless bugs and missing execeptions and crashes (not too often i hope)
it should not harm..

missing features:
sound
zoom/focus to pointer
right click in touchsreen mode per long press (all timing based recognition is missing)
latency slider in gui (a nicer gui)
tab/esc keys
much more

More Details in README

alpha.tar.gz

(oh too big for maemo.org)

Is it working for you?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pythoneye2 For This Useful Post: