View Single Post
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sarahn View Post
Ok. When I see articles talking about nokia porting qt back from april, and they own the gosh-darned thing, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to think they might be officially supporting it by now and not just as a "community project."
Considering that Nokia hired the primary Qt on Maemo guy to work for Maemo Software, I'd say they're putting plenty of money on it. Honestly, though, there are a ton of very talented people currently working on Qt for Maemo. Just because it doesn't happen to be "blessed" this time around, doesn't suddenly make it useless ****. Personally, if I were one of those people working on Qt, I'd be more than a little offended to hear somebody pass judgement about it without even using the damn thing.

I was looking at the toolkits they have running on top of it (tidy?) and that's more minimal than what I expect. If I really wanted to build a very rich UI from complete and total scratch it's fine, but that is not what I'm targeting.
The new Hildon isn't out yet, so the toolkits you see available now aren't the ones that will be available later. Again give it time and wait for a release that you're actually the intended audience of.

What if someone wanted to try installing it? Do most people keep extras-devel available all the time?
Extras-devel isn't the end of the world, and, yes, a lot of people keep it enabled all the time. Why don't you try it and see? I think you're likely to be pretty impressed by how well Qt works on Maemo at this point.

They'll push it to Extras when it's ready, of course, but perhaps you should consider actually talking to the people involved? They're listed on the Garage project page I linked in my last post.

That's the hat I'm wearing right now for this project, so yes. However I'll want to run this on an n900, not an n8xx, so I want to know what is and is not going to be "officially" available. Sounds like qt isn't guaranteed to be well supported enough to use out of the box for fremantle and that's what I wanted to know.
See, now you're jumping to more conclusions based on assumptions and bad data. Python is a community-supported toolkit, and it's perfectly usable out-of-the-box (ever tried Canola?). So your argument that community is synonymous with "wont work out-of-the-box" is bunk.

Let's step back, try taking a look at what's available right now (which I think you'll find quite satisfactory), then maybe come back in a few months when the beta is out and see what you think then. I'm quite certain you'll be more than satisfied.