View Single Post
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
Malfunctioning: i remember the zaurus, really wanted one for a long time but the better ones were only available in japan, not uk iirc. i would consider it a forefather of the eee really.

I would say any of the *boxes (flux, black,open...) would provide good performance. just need a decent theme. on a device like this is window sizing really essential, or could everything just run maximised?
Sorry for the OT, everyone! Please move along if you are not interested in hearing about the Zaurus.

Android_808, I completely understand! The clamshell ones were only available in Japan, or through grey market outlets like conics.net in the USA or trisoft.de in Europe (Germany).

Because I got really late to the party (2008) I got my SL-C1000 (the only ones which didn't have internal micro hard drive and instead had just flash memory, and in my mind far preferable), from eBay. I ended buying a number of them because I like them so much, and still have a few.

There were a number of roms for the Zaurii. Somebody named cortez even had Ubuntu running on SD for it, and in theory they also support the latest FreeBSD. Personally I settled for pdaXrom, and compiled Fluxbox 1.0 for it. I love the system to this day (but perhaps part of it is that I like Fluxbox so much, and the idea of running it in a palmtop device is awesome).

I'm going to get rid next month of two of my Zaurus computers (I have 5 right now, and no reason to hold on to them since I'm using the N900 mostly now), so let me know if you are interested. I have 1 SL-C1000, and 1 SL-C3000 (it has a micro hard drive, but I prefer the SL-C1000). The SL-C1000 has my awesome setup with Fluxbox running, and a set of preinstalled applications.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post: