View Single Post
Originally Posted by liar View Post
by looking at the android sources in "development/tools/emulator" i found that goldfish (the android emulator version which is run by qemu - i don't know if it is actually called goldfish) communicates via a so called "qemud bridge" with a renderer application on the host. calls from the egl/opengl(es), and so on libs are passed through the qemud bridge and executed on the host. i think it should be possible to run goldfish (i am just gonna call it that) inside a chroot and the renderer application on the device, it should just be a matter of compiling everything and hacking around with qemud and the renderer application... but who knows, i might be wrong... i might try it eventually, any help is greatly appreciated

also chompers chroid seems to do just that...

this should work on the n9 with a kernel built with all the required android patches.. don't know about the state of the n900s kernel though
That is basically what I did for my build (detailed on page 7 a little), I built the Goldfish ICS (I had to remove the EGL and OpenGL libs because they interfered with the OS) and had a kernel Open() hook so it would open the right /dev/fb* device (I know I should have patched the source but I wasn't really bothered). At the end my opengl shims were based on that bridge used for Host GPU rendering on the Android SDK VMs, but I think I no longer have the source for those shims.

I should still have the kernel sources around, they would be a very good start if someone's interested in working on this, I can Github them I think I have the script for modding the final ICS build and the scripts for running it on Maemo + a couple other things, but cannot recall what I kept or threw away. I think I can dig around the internet for a patch I used to include PulseAudio support to android sound output but I remember (seem to recall??) it had to be extensively modded to run on the Maemo PulseAudio (could be wrong though, this was a while back).

I remember there was a bug on my kernel though, when the device turned on with the charger if it booted my kernel it would not power off on Power button press/charger removal and the battery had to be extracted... other than that I think it even worked with CSSU Thumb (I found no issues).

It's based on KP51r1 and again, I can upload all I have if someone wants to continue/finish development

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post: