View Single Post
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
No, we can't. Even if we had the resources to do so (which we don't), it would be illegal to use it in most jurisdictions on the world. Operating the device without certification on public networks is illegal, and certification is made for hardware+software combo - after changing anything in the software, certification is revoked. And if you can't change the firmware, you still have to trust us that the compiled code in the device and provided source code matches.
Then there is no need for this firmware to actually connect to any known GSM network in the world.

But If you think that joerg_rw/OpenPhoenux/Goldelico are going to be responsible for users upgrading their firmware, then why did you mention that "it's better for user freedom to give him/her the ability to upgrade the firmware"? In this case, it's better to just source a modem with non-upgradable firmware or just blow some fuses so that it is not upgradable. Apart from increased legal protection, you would also get FSF endorsement!

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Dos1 is mistaken here - since all modems and also our Cinterion modem are heavily tivoized nowadays (means you CANNOT load firmware that's not signed by modem manufacturer's crypto key), we actually could ask Cinterion to simply erase "the firmware" on the modules we receive from them, and we provide the officially supported firmware flasher and firmware (C)&signed-off Cinterion.
I suspect this won't fly because you are missing the "open firmware" part (and I do not think that a null firmware would be valid -- I suppose it would need to generate at least some signal ).

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
The approach to demand the impossible to force industry into the right direction is maybe idealistically a politically correct thing to do (though I think it's hybris), but it for sure fails for small projects like Neo900. Thus I'm not willing to worry further about FSF approval, it can't be done.
Since funding is at stake here, I agree.
Much to my disappointment, people these days do not accept PDAs for some reason... I would.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: