View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
By using auto-hiding panels of quite big size (with adequately sized icons), you can create UI that works finger-friendly, and still leaves 799x479 pixels* for applications.
I know. I've tried that in ED some time ago but for some reason I don't like it.
There is some info that I always want to see (time, battery status) . And my screen edges all behave differently, i.e. the pressure point where lxpanel shows up is not the same for all four edges which irritates me.
I also tried to create a centered static panel on top where windows don't dock. The idea was to have this panel cover most of the window decoration but grant access to the window control buttons. But this setup was kind of buggy (not always on top, windows sometimes docked, some weird lxmenu behavior).

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
You might be interested to know (if you don't already know it) that there is an EFL UI for ConnMan called EConnMan but you would need to build it as hasn't yet been packaged for Debian.
Thanks! I've heard of ConnMan but up to now I didn't even know what it was. It sure sounds interesting.

I have tried out few browsers. I installed Iceweasel and as you might expect it ate a lot of the memory but other than that there were no real issues and I was able to install some of my favourite add-ons. It's actually quite responsive for single tab/window browsing if you don't have a lot of other stuff running. It runs much better than it does in Maemo under Easy Debian (from what I remember).
I have Iceweasel installed on my Cubieboard2, which - in terms of performance - is probably the closest to a N900 I have, but it's still magnitudes faster. But I rarely use it since it's already pretty slow.
Also I'm used to having multiple tabs opened (4-10).

I ran into another bug when I tried it in that there was nowhere to enter a URL!
I think I remember that one has to do with the limited screen width of the N900. I believe Midori is designed for at least 1024 Pixels. I think you can bring back the urlbar by freeing up some space in the panel, most obviously by removing the search engine bar.

If you want a really lightweight browser then I recommend links2. It does display graphics, just don't expect anything fancy like JavaScript.
My problem is that I need Javascript for some sites. Otherwise I'd use links2, dillo, hv3, surf - you name it.

This might also be a good option.
Afair Epiphany's performance was similar to Firefox 2, but then again I haven't used it since FF2 was up to date.

On another note, I really like the UI of Ubuntu's webbrowser-app [1]. The two problems I see are the modified libqt5 dependencies that may make it hard to port it to Debian and the fact that you need multi-touch for some functionality (e.g. resizing contents).

I was thinking of something similar. It should be possible to detect whether there's something plugged into the audio jack and automatically switch to the appropriate profile. I'm not actually sure what the critical frequency is. I would very much appreciate it if someone can confirm it.
I believe joergrw has made a statement about that (or included a link to such a statement) in the huge Neo900 thread, but I don't remember where.

Hopefully the Neo900 will have protection at hardware level.
+1

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/webbrowser-app

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: