View Single Post
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
EDIT: Forget all about this below. Better solution is to use community repos which is under work

I'm starting this topic now, like I threatened.

Personally I'd like to keep my current workflow, using QtCreator, instead of scratchbox. Here's a great resource for setting up qt5 development for QtCreator:

http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/SettingU...vironmentForN9

Big thanks from me to the WebKit folks for this work - figuring out all that stuff by myself would have not been possible with the time I have.

Here's my notes using this guide, hopefully it will save some time from others tackling this (for reference I'm developing on Ubuntu 10.04, some details might differ depending on your OS of choice):

In my notes I'm going to use the following variables as shortcuts:
$QTSDK = Path to QtSDK installation directory
$QT5SETUP = Path to the directory where you set-up Qt5 (in the web-page it's ~/sfworks)

1.1) Prepare your environment - I could without problem use another directory than the ~/swork directory mentioned in the guide. The scripts included seem to be pretty smart in that regard.

1.4) Set up custom MADDE target. This didn't initially work for me, even as by documentation QtSDK installation is supposed to set it up. But if you set QTSDK environment variable to point to your QtSDK installation directory, then there is no problems. Example
Code:
export QTSDK=/home/users/ajalkane/QtSDK
1.8) Build sources. Two problems:
- In the web-page there is a comment "Qt5 r26 and later versions messing up some include path". This is still a valid, you need to do the symbolic link. If you use some other path than the default ~/sfworks you need to adjust the link accordingly. Analyzing the include paths in the build errors will quite easily give you idea what kind of symbolic link to create.
- I got weird errors about missing headers. It seems that downloading some of the sources can fail, and it does not give any errors so it's easy to miss among all the output. If that happens run again 1.6) to get again the sources :
Code:
browser-scripts/clone-sources.sh --no-ssh
And then re-build.

Now you should have Qt5 target usable in QtCreator. To add it to your project, go to:
Settings -> Build & Run -> Qt Versions. Add new qmake location
Add there $QT5SETUP/qt5/qtbase/bin/qmake (of course replacing $QT5SETUP with the directory you downloaded the scripts into).

With these instructions I was able to compile a simple hello world application. Does not tell much of course... But since I've not received my device yet, I'm trying to resist the urge to mess-up with my day-to-day device. I might fail during the weekend, though the abortion of the next billion somewhat helps restricting my geek urges.

Some final notes:
I think the scripts are the minimal that's needed for webkit. Some qt5 modules are not compiled. If you need some other modules for qt5, go to $QT5SETUP/qt5 and use the "init-repository" script to add more modules. No practical examples from me yet, as I'm in the hello world stage.

I hope other people post here their own experiences, especially stuff that got them stuck for a while. No matter how trivial it might seem when looking back, it can substantially reduce the time each of us use on getting things rolling.

Personally I'd like to see some experiences and practical instructions how to create qmake scripts that can automatically use Qt5 on device if it was installed. And also how to automatically transform the qml's to use QtQuick 2 - Qt Components QtQuick2 branch does something like that, but I haven't had time to dig into how similar technique could easiest be applied on QtCreator based project.

Last edited by ajalkane; 2012-09-03 at 17:57.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post: