View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Nijihana View Post
Copernicus, what do we do nao :c?
Hmm. Perhaps it would be better to step back a bit and consider what we are looking for. There are many resources available on the net, and many types of apps have already been written. So, I think we should ask, just what features are we looking for?

Simply retrieving summaries of anime from ANN or Wikipedia looks like a fairly trivial task. (And, in fact, it appears that this is exactly what MAL does for their anime summaries...) Other features would require a bit more effort.

A few items to consider:
  • Streaming Anime: the care and management of copyrighted material really requires close cooperation with the copyright holders; I kind of doubt we'd be able to generate enough revenue to get their attention. At least, I'm not personally knowledgeable enough to know what it would take to get a streaming service like Crunchyroll set up on a new platform. (And I can imagine it would take a lot more work than I can currently devote to such a project...)
  • Social Interaction: Sites like MAL are designed to get fans to chat with one another about their favorite subject. It isn't hard at all to create an app to access such a site, assuming that the site owner is agreeable to doing so. The downside, in my opinion, is that you are now limiting yourself to the whims of that one particular site. However, if it is a service that you crave, it isn't impossible to create an app dedicated to a particular site (as shown by the hoard of MAL apps available). I suppose it would also be possible to implement social interaction in a broader manner, perhaps through some Facebook / Twitter / etc. mechanism.
  • List Management: If you're just interested in managing your own personal lists or rankings of anime, that's quite easy. You really don't need to rely on someone else's server for that kind of thing.

I guess what I'm getting at here is, the more directly that an app is tied to a particular online service, the harder it will likely be to get the app up and running. A feature set that is more independent will be much easier to implement...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: