Thread: Bye-bye, N800?
View Single Post
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
But I'll take the opportunity to whine that I wish Nokia would come out with a keyboard-less successor to the N800, squeezing out the space the keyboard takes up on the N810 to make it a little flatter and lighter. And then I wish they'd license Palm Graffiti for a keyboard alternative, to have in addition to the current one. And that they would copy some of the iPhone keyboard ideas, too (like changing contextually, so that, for example, ".com" becomes a key when you're typing a URL).
Well, I'm not sure about the legal status of Graffiti; seems like the patent can't have long left? Anyway, Graffiti 2 was found non-infringing, so an open-source equivalent that's that close is possible. And Nokia doesn't have to be involved; we have the API to make our own input methods, but AFAIK, no one has made any others yet. Contextuality is a little more complex (not being included in the API), but doable (look at what window is uppermost, look up corresponding layout in config file).
While I'm off-topic like this, I'll add another thing I wish Nokia would copy from the iPhone, but which I'd thought of before (even on my PC, before I had an N800) and I'm sure many people have thought of: have a little "x" icon next to the URL in the browser's address bar, and in File Manager and in Dialog Boxes, that can erase whatever is there already.
Dillo has this; CSS support is really all dillo's missing to be a really sweet browser. You can also middle-click on the X to clear the URL field and then paste into it. Not much help for the N8x0s, though.