View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Heh heh... Indeed, a very welcome feature, especially for increasingly capable devices.

I see Android as being the most popular user OS in the not so distant future. I forsee increasing devices moving over to this much-simplified method of computing -- even Apple seems to be moving away from intel which means that iOS may find a home on its macbook line. That said, I expect Android to become more competent as a desktop alternative as app support improves and the market shifts to ARM.

I couldn't use Android as my main system currently (I rely entirely to much on TL) but I wouldn't feel bad about adopting it *if* it could do what I needed. Certain aspects of the system are very enticing, but at the end of the day, it's power and legacy that holds me. I suspect that this will change in time.
Is Microsoft panicking yet? Oh right right... Microsoft already jumped the shark when Balmer threw that chair across the room at the mention of Google, I suppose.

Here's a little more controversy for the TL/Android discussion...

Andy Rubin explains why Android is not a Community Driven Project:

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news...riven-project/

Have at it.
Actually--I tend to agree that that's what they're doing. Not sure I can argue anything here.

It's official, Honeycomb will not be open sourced!
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/0...e-Open-Sourced

The stated reason: busted phone functionality. Instead, Ice Cream Sandwich will be released.
Sounds reasonable to me, actually. At least they're promising to open-source the better, newer one.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: