View Single Post
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Innovation on the OS level isn't a bad thing. The problem is that Android and its course are totally controlled by Google. Not that I see large amounts of innovation in Android, mostly I see things reimplemented and reinvented (see the vendor at MWC boasting their windowing system for Android.) The big thing going for it is that Google is behind it, which is also its biggest downside (Google is the only primary company behind it, and calls all the shots internally.)
Hahaha.. Some things re-implemented, but there is innovation nonetheless.

And the MWC company isn't really indicative of what Google is doing. Just a company trying to fill a niche in the tablet space by adding windows to Android. BTW, they aren't the first to accomplish this 'feat'.

And Android is forkable, but like many big projects, unless there is vision or fundamental differences in ideology, there's little reason to. At this point, it may be best to scavenge it for parts -- eg. Dalvik is something that more companies should pay attention to.

For the record, I think QT is cool in that it adds a much needed layer of abstraction above the OS but I think QT could be better if the was yet another layer that separated UI concerns from lower level stuff. I know the API segments these things, but isn't the full QT needed to run QT apps? More layers, man. Layers.