View Single Post
Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM View Post
Although I'm no fan of WM7, I think that having some smartphones with a more popular OS for the average, would definately help them out of the misery. Just look at HTC, Samsung, LG etc.... they all build nice phones around existing OS', shoot them out like there would be no tomorrow and are big players in the high-end market.

Nokia on the other hand sits on Symbian, which mentioning in one sentence with 'high-end' leaves a bit of a bitter taste. Maemo is a really cool OS but in the end for Nokia as a company probably wasn't really all that worth it guessing from the support (or lack thereof) they provide and in which critical situation they see themselves.

Meego may change the situation a bit, but I'll doubt that its usage will come even close to that of Android or i-not-OS, so I guess that even then Nokia won't be able to sell as many phones as HTC etc. do in this high-end sector. Having a strong, second plattform for the high-end may push this whole thing a lot though.

Edit: To be clear here: I don't hope for any WM7 phone nor for any other Android device with this crappy OS, but for Nokia as a profit-oriented company it would definately be up-lifting and I don't see any danger for the Meego Project in here either.
But how could Meego compete against WP7 and the backing of MS, I can see average Nokia users looking for a smartphone going for Nokia WP7's and the new N9 meego could then just become a N900 maemo where no developers are really interested in it as it will have such a small market share, unless Nokia push the meego to real high end phones/mobile tabs? Perhaps the instinctv developers were told something similar a couple of months ago?