View Single Post
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by fravaccaro View Post
Weeeeell I opened a ticket on zendesk, but since my phone is from 2014 I doubt it's covered by any warranty. And the Jolla C is (hopefully) on its way, so I'd rather use my device as a 'cavy' to help posterity which may stumble upon such issue (and since you too had it it may not be that uncommon, unluckily) - and if it works I'll have a secondary phone to continue my programming tests and community will have a fix
I am very sorry to hear your device is bricked. Let's hope you'll find a way to revive it.

I indeed hope that your case is going to be a warning for everyone who might think about installing pre-pre-pre-release version the shady way. PSA: There is no reason to install them, so don't do it, guys.
No "Don't install it unless you really need it." or "Don't install it unless you know what you're doing", just "Don't.".

I don't think anything good can come from installing these releases even if nothing goes wrong. People share info about new features in the release, which A) spoils all surprises B) motivates new people to try to install it, because they feel left behind. And the argument about developers being able to test their apps against the changes is IMHO invalid, as an official pre-release program already exists.

Then they spam TJC with bug reports which have little to no value, because they have no connection to Jolla's internal bugs - when a pre-release version is announced officially, you always get info about known issues and if the issue you're experiencing is not among them you can be pretty sure it is not tracked by Jolla and your bug report is needed and valuable. Without such connection, it just fills TJC and confuses potential customers who might visit TJC and see those critical bugs.
Also everyone who follows these pre-pre-pre-release TMO threads can see how many people have problems with partial upgrades (almost everyone) and it is quite likely that a good part of their reported bugs is a result of this rather than a bug in the release itself.

Finally, if more bricks occur, it might push Jolla to prevent this by locking the repositories access to Jolla accounts or even devices IMEIs... Which is something nobody wants. And also each brick means one device that could have been used by someone in this community - it is sold out in Jolla's E-shop and obtaining a used one is becoming more difficult already. I'm guilty of recently killing one Jolla with a drop on concrete floor and I don't feel good about it either

Last edited by nodevel; 2016-06-21 at 21:57.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post: