View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I love these threads. It's always a bit like over-ambitious mothers telling their little daughters "Why don't you put more efforts into algebra? Why don't you invite Emma someday, her daddy's rich! Why don't you wear this skirt, it makes you look so cute!" - They say all this because they love their daughters and want them to be the best and most successful kid in town.

I don't actually love Nokia. I admit there are some cool people there I'd really like to meet in person some day (and maybe then...), but thats not enough to make me love the class enemy and wish for its success. So I have no urge to tell them what to do and how to become prettier than the brat from the apple farm on the other side of the town.

What I do love, though, is what Nokia achieved for me. They offered me cool products I wouldn't have had otherwise (yes, I guess I love my tablets in a way ...). Even more important, they developed really good technologies that now even come to the desktop as well (the IM client I use on my desktop is built on top of the telepathy framework). And the best thing of all: They showcased that devices with free software can be consumer-ready and attract more than just 3 geeks. This was probably the most important achievement of all: GNU/Linux on embedded devices is here to stay, the idea of openness spreads across platforms and even reaches Symbian.

So, as for the further development of the tablet platform as such: Maybe we'll see a great new device, maybe just a disappointing Apple-Clone. But it doesn't matter. If Nokia doesn't come up with an N900 that does what I expect, there'll be alternatives. Maybe not at the same time, maybe I'll have to wait until 2009, but there will be devices that are small, connected and open. And I firmly believe that this is mainly because of Nokia showing the rest of the industry that it can be done and how it's done.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: