View Single Post
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
As far as I see, there are a few possibilities in 2017:

GPD Pocket
Aside of GPD's horrendous communication, at least this project has delivered actual hardware. However the number of reports about faulty machines and GPD's sloppiness in reacting to these (see their indiegogo page) is kind of scary. At least there are a bunch of people for whom it works well, even though they ship with Ubuntu it does need some tweaking before it is usable.
But hey, this is the only device that you can actually buy out of this list.

Gemini
Basically the same form factor as the GPD Pocket, only a bit smaller. The keyboard looks much better though, and they have a great-looking design. They promise to deliver an Android / Debian combo, but haven't disclosed any details. However judging by the SoC vendor it is doubtful they can run a mainline kernel, and even more doubtful that there will be any kernel updates once the SoC vendor moves on. It's unclear whether the phone functionality will be availible on Linux, so it probably won't. Maybe the community can do it, maybe not. Let's hope they make it! I'm not interested to see yet another Android device. (Although it may just become one.)

Librem Purism 5
Good points: they have chosen a SoC vendor which actually seems to support some sort of a mainline kernel. They also recognize this will cost a LOT so have a high funding target (which either will or will not be met). However I'm unsure why they push their "PureOS". I do NOT care about yet another dead platform phone OS, I'd like to just run my favourite Linux distro. Aside of this, the hardware looks cool, but lacks a keyboard. I also don't quite understand Purism's laptops: they ship outdated but _very_ expensive hardware.

Neo900
I wish success to the project, but personally I don't think I would need a device of the 3.5" form factor anymore, especially not with 2009 hardware. Does not seem significantly better than the N900 to justify its price. Also seems unlikely to get released in 2017.

Pyra
At least this is more than vapourware, but not by much. The device sets realistic expectations with regards to size and performance, but I don't understand why they are fixated on "gaming controls" and that bulk makes the device look unappealing. Unlikely to get released in 2017 but at least the project seems to make steady progress.

"chenphone"
Looks very pretty and "nice on paper" but so far it's just vapourware. Until they make good on their current / previous campaigns, I won't take those guys seriously. Very unlikely to get released in 2017.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Venemo; 2017-09-19 at 13:37.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post: