View Single Post
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Thanks. I have avoided this route, because I assumed that even with a gnu/linux chroot, I'd still be unable to use it as an X11 server. Am I wrong about that? Does installing a gnu/linux chroot allow X11 apps to display on an Android device?
I have Linux Deploy on my (rooted) tablet and have debian installed on it. There are 3 choices for display:

VNC
X Window System
Frame Buffer

I've only really used the VNC option (which means you also need to install a VNC client as well). You can run a full desktop (mine boots into LXDE) and practically all the programs that Debian provides. Since my tablet only has 1GB ram (and slow by today's standards) I don't really do much with that debian installation, but I have installed and run stuff like the Gimp, Battle for Wesnoth, LibreOffice, etc. It's obviously not as good and efficient as being able to run linux natively on the tablet but it is surprisingly usable on the occasions that I need it. Plus my tablet being one of the Asus Transformers with a docking keyboard and touchpad makes the user experience a whole lot better.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post: