View Single Post
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by DCr33P View Post
Oh ok... didn't think of that because it was discussed in this thread
Advantages:

- Backup system on flash. If you brick your OS you can use your backup system.
- Faster booting. Jffs2 uses compression, so there is a big overhead which results in slower transfer rates and cpu usage. The filesystem on on your SD card can be ext2/ext3 etc.
- Extends your rootfs and you can install more than 256mb of applications.
- Testing system. Install an application on sd and test it. If everything works you ca finally install it on flash. So you can have a cleaner OS.
Hey DCr33P,

I read and re-read this thread and tried to get as much as I could but I am still stuck on the advantages. If I were able to boot from the MMC, would this still be the same as booting normally and then using the apps loaded or does this boot me into a special mode? I would assume that the Bootloader would reside on the MMC and facilitate this booting. Is this correct? I heard somewhere, here I think that Nokia will release an upgrade to the current OS version in a few weeks. If so, I may try the "boot from MMC" option and this way, if I brick my N800, I have no worries, as I can just upgrade the system. Does this make sense? By the way, I am using a Mac so I am not sure if some of these tools are compatible, or do I need a Windows/Linux box to try this?