View Single Post
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted by drcouzelis View Post
I'm wondering that too. Is the Wikipedia article for Sailfish OS acurate? Is the user interface not open source?

If the user interface isn't open source, wouldn't that make Sailfish a step back from Maemo and MeeGo in regards to software freedom, and less open source friendly than Android?
Harmattan's UI is not open source as well. The core is, though, and the distro containing the open-source components is called Mer. Mer is the underpinning of Sailfish.

If Jolla's claim that they can have Sailfish running on a brand new hardware platform after one day of work is true, blows cleanly out of the water one of the most infamous claims of Steven Elop, that Harmattan could not easily be adapted to new hardware. Harmattan had several Nokia-specific adaptations that made it more dificult to adapt than Mer, but what's the problem in taking one month to adapt to a new platform? Android takes six months or more!

I'm seeing the UI demo (last 10 minutes of the Slush keynote) and will comment on that when I have an opinion.

So far, I do not like the "swipe" being a dissolve instead of a card (a LOT less intuitive than the N9) and too much spindly thin text like WP8.