View Single Post
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
I was looking forward to buy n900 asap - when it's in stores.. One of the main reasons was the usb-otg feature, so this would be a great dissapointment - I wanted to be able to use usb-to-ethernet dongle...

However, as I understand the situation, the usb commitee didn't approve usage of micro-ab for some reason. But that doesn't have to mean that the hardware doesn't allow this - I've read somewhere that in order to get the OTG aproval, device has to also contain some supporting software (which n900 obviously doesn't, as host mode isn't supported officially).

From what I've read, the OMAP 3430 (often) comes with the TWL4030 chip, which serves power management (among other purposes), and allows usb-otg.. In case nokia didn't do some dirty tricks there (like unsoldering something), the functionality still could be there. According to discussion here

http://translate.google.cz/translate...p%3D1058152020

there is a kernel module for wtl4030, so they probably really use the chip...

The only question left is only, whether the omap3430 is implemented in a standard way. In this case, imho, the OTG could still work - though probably only by using a non-standard usb cable...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to andree For This Useful Post: