View Single Post
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Hi,

for me my n900 is in everyday use so I tried to make it to fit my needs. I'm on CSSU Testing.

I. On my SD card I have:
1. Full maemo sdk development environment,
2. Fully usable kali linux distro - 1.1.0 (armhf) with i3 - it provides everything that kali has For basic stuff it is enough; not for metasploit or such... But also have rawtherapee, youtube-dl and many-many others that maemo doesn't and won't have...
II. On the device:
1. Widgets:
- one for weather data,
- one for calendar. Both is written by me in python for my needs.
2. Maps:
- Nokia Maps - tweaked version to have voice navigation and POI-s (voice navigation is not working for me though...). I have some *not too old map tiles* of my country so for me it is quite usable when I'm totally offline.
- Modrana. I install it from M4rtinK's github repo every time he releases a new version So it isn't from maemo repos... I mainly use it for hiking because I can set my country's hiking map server to to download the tiles from (in db format so uses less space!!!) but it is fairly good for everything. It was a big help 3 years ago that it measures the distance from poi - we could do some filed work easier
3. Multimedia:
- cutetube - I do have streams so I do not have to download them only some streams cannot be played...
- cutenews for rss - for me it is working fine.
- replaced the stock media player with openmediaplayer
- mplayer - sweet
4. Games:
- only the stock ones. Oh, and Bounce Earlier I had assassin's creed, monopoly but... mahjong is far enough nowadays
5. Browsing:
- Opera 12.1beta - best...
- Have fennec 17 but soooooo slow...
- chromium - it is good when it not crashes
- on kali I have midori, links2, xlinks and chromium too (latter is with tor of course) - quite good
6. Email:
- Stock. Modest is doing a great job, it is enough for me as I only use gmail.
7. Photography:
- Stock camera (derived from camera-ui2); using dng raw most of the times as I like working with the images in rawtherapee and I find them quite good. At least for my taste
- Fcamera and blessn900 and good too but with my version of libc6 thy stopped working and now I'm on the way of hunting the problem now
- Panorama - it is quite good when you can hold and turn the n900 on the proper way.
- Classicprint - use to for modifying the images.
- Rawtherapee (as said earlier)
- Mypaint - not photography but sooooooo cool
8. Other:
- Stellarium 0.10.6
- iPython and other python stuffs (scipy, matplotlib, numpy, etc.)
- FBReader for reading books - working quite well in portrait mode too
- docstogo to open or edit documents, excel sheets - only for basic stuff.
- fcron. must have
9. Tweaked stuff...:
- custom lbc6 - maemo has 2.5.1; based on Aapo's idea and experiment I have version 2.10.
- neovim (depends on libc6 > 2.7) - for programming, editing text/files
- kernel-power 53 - my device can be overclocked to 1150 MHz - I use kali that way (so far so good).
- phone-control script; I added some other switches (like set cpumax, brightness, number of desktops (up to 9), etc.) so it fit my needs.
- wget version 1.19.5
- libssl1.1.0h
- custom python script to replace operator's name with the date and nameday
- maemoneypot - my own app for tracking my financial stuffs; it uses an "updated" version of sqlite with sql-cipher so you can set a password for your sql databases...
- fingerterm - not used too much but it can be handy
- under kali weechat is working (client to matrix.org)
- backupmenu - essential!!! (I tweaked it to use libc6 library not 2.5.1)
- maybe some others but I don't remember every tweak I made

Last edited by justmemory; 2019-01-24 at 14:16. Reason: Added other used apps

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post: