View Single Post
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
As much as I hate the term 'app' I do support that something like this needs to be packaged/installable.

And even more as the provided kernel does not support the 'compile your module yourself'!
Yeah, there is generally no good reason functionality and features would have to be cryptic and hard to use. It generally just means either being lazy or general lack of time for a project.

While it's the right thing, that doesn't mean it is not hard - you need to a lot of effort to document it, do a good UI, handle all the use cases others might need to work, keep it running as the underlying system changes over time and fix all the inevitable feature and security bugs that creep out, possibly for quite a long time, while keeping the thing reasonably stable as seen from the outside.

So it's unfortunately understandable that developers release a "works-for-me" solution which has some pretty rough edges, just because they simply don't have the resources to smooth it all out themselves. But hey - open source, others can help as well! While not always working for this, I would argue progress is being made and we are moving forward on the user friendliness side.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: