View Single Post
First thing first - I wasn't referring to You as "talker" only, I hoped it's marked clear enough in my last post.

Generally, I would agree with You, if we would be talking 2 years ago - Nokia indeed looked or was such company then. But, now, everything You've said about them is "past". Elop (+ other fail executives on lower level) ruled Nokia doesn't comply here. I'm ever glad and surprised, that already started projects (whole QT thing) weren't sabotaged like Harmattan thing. But, IMO, it's all we can hope for.

don't get me wrong - I would really like to have things looking like You described them. Yet, guess where Open Pandora or Raspberry Pi guys would be now, if they would endlessly wait and "try to interest" big companies into creating product for them. It may be surprise to some, but there is no "great tactic" behind Nokia & Friends actions - no creative thinking, niches positioning, etc. Even Apple did their own niche some time ago, and run by momentum they've gained. Some of them seems to adapt what everyone else's adapt, some act like Nokia [ADHD(tm)]. There are small lights in some areas (part of Sony actions, that You've mentioned, but I would not agree to name them as "FOSS friendly" company), but generally, brain cells and common sense isn't valued very high in high-op cadres. It looks more like playground for never-grown-up boys (much less frequently, gals).

Cutting rant about "big gadget companies" lack of brain, I just don't see any company that would like to create device fitting our target. Of course I may be wrong, but it seems that if we won't fill our niche, no one will. It's even more than that - success of things like Raspberry Pi or Vivaldi (?) may actually bring interest of "I'm xero boy" companies like Samsung, to unused niche.

BTW, there is much expertise, that could be united. I'm sure many OpenMoko guys would share their knowledge/participate. We're talking about "computer first, phone as a function" approach, so there even are some Open Hardware designs, that we could base upon. I'm aware that we may be not able to use only 100% open (in terms of available software to power them) components - mainly graphic part - but hey, we don't need to get into heaven on first try. for most, availability to run every new upstream kernel would be a heaven-like already

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: