View Single Post
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I have to say, I love the look of it, and it works well for inputting information in a T9-like way. There are a few major issues though:

1> It takes forever to "digest" the dictionary on the first run. Maybe you want to pre-digest the given dictionaries shipped?

2> It takes a long time to start up (>50 seconds) and even longer to shut down (over 3 minutes).

3> It takes 100% CPU (and this is on an overclocked system at 1Ghz) for that startup/shutdown time, and eats between 35% to 40% of usable memory just for loading the app. Something has to change there...

4> It guesses words alphabetically from what I can see, and doesn't remember or weight the word usage in any way. If I type in a longer word it usually gets it right after 4 or 5 letters, but smaller words that start with the 3rd or 4th letter on a key are never the default word, despite their more prevalent usage.

Overall I think this is a good first try at it though! Really, great work on this, and look forward to seeing the next version! The UI is clean, the T9-like functionality works pretty well (minus the weighting issue). It's poised to be a great addition to the device!

I think the real need here is to improve the way the dictionary is handled, especially when it comes to memory usage and the speed of the app. Maybe pre-compiling the dictionary into some static database format and block allocating it would work better.

If this functionality could be integrated into the existing portrait keyboard project it would really be all the more awesome.

After playing with it a bit more:

It looks like it does remember some word weighting, but doesn't do it until you've closed the app and re-opened it? (Which takes a while.)

Sometimes I hit a number key (usually 7/8/9) and it lights up, but doesn't add the letter. I have to hit it 3 or 4 times sometimes to get it to add the proper letter.

The auto-rotate doesn't seem to work at all for me. I had to set it to portrait to get it into that mode, though that's find for me, since if I were using it landscape, I'd just use the normal keyboard.

One small suggestion: On my N6230 I was used to hitting # to get the next possible T9 suggestion (so that was intuitive for me), but I was also used to hitting * to back up one if I over-shot by one. I really miss that. Could you add a "backup one suggestion" button (or map that to *? )

Last edited by woody14619; 2010-06-14 at 22:58. Reason: More play-time with it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: