View Single Post
I would have to say it is my belief that we will need Nokia to play a greater supporting role in the future of maemo.org.

Maemo.org has a device identity with their NIT family and it has been Nokia who has provided us with their continued support for the last 7years, like many have said. Now I would agree that we could argue over what Nokia's idea of support is, but they have given us a common device for reference over that time.

Now keeping with ideas of looking for a suitable replacement reference device, the community would need to take in to consideration the support we have received when looking at other manufacturers and if can they provide a family line like we have become accustomed to? It's not that I don't appreciate the efforts from the people who make these tablets/devices such as the vivaldi but we see far too many of these companies come and go these days that I personally be wary of investing in them. It's not just the start up companies either just look at HP/palm, we would have called them a safe bet this time last year.

I guess my fear would be that if maemo.org agreed to back the vivaldi (or similar machine), then what would happen if they decided to close shop in 6months time? The community would have to re-do a lot of their hard work for the next reference device or continue with that as the reference model and creating a danger of forking projects.

Now whilst we all know that Elop has said they are not going going to make anymore meego handsets (for now) it would be better for nokia to show a more active role in supporting maemo.org to prevent the wide spread forking of maemo like I said above.