View Single Post
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Obsolete??? Not even close.

There are so many parts of the world not even fully (if at all) served by cellular service, so it still has legs. And it's true that the paradigm is being inverted (POTS on top of IP instead of the old vice-versa mode) but there will still be a cellular infrastructure. 3G, 4G, whatever-- a cell is a cell, and it's telephony.

Now, as a Nokia employee I prayed constantly that we would triumph over the walled garden mode of US service providers (I would probably still be employed if we had), but never underestimate the power of inertia. There is a lot of money behind maintaining the status quo and it isn't going away quietly, much less quickly.

Your vision may come to pass, but it's too early to write epitaphs for telephony just yet. Same for patents, regardless of your assessment. You certainly seem smart-- just letting idealism override a sense of reality. That'll pass.

EDIT: there are much more than a "few people and organizations" still using cell phones, many on restricted networks/plans. Don't make the mistake of assuming your particular preferences and ideals translate to the world at large.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-05-08 at 03:28.