View Single Post
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I believe that there is a "portable/thumb drive" version for windows that does not need to be installed to run.
good to know so truecrypt would be the env for files (includes partitions as we all know "everything is a file)I want to share within massstorage mode?!

Best of all, if you don't need to access the files, truecrypt does not need to be running (ie no battery drain).
you leave out addressbook and calendar if you think of unmounting. In any other case, most crypting softwares do need the juice while reading and writing files but none while idle... (at least the stuff I think of)

This doesn't address all the issues, but may address enough for the average joe to use (with a gui front end) easily to protect important data.
but joe doesnt know which data is important! joe doesnt know that all his emails send are scanned! joe doesnt know that all data he sends via ICQ is from then on owned by ICQ Inc. and so on. (at this point I recognize I missed a jabber client or xmpp at all.) the worse is that joe does not care. so we, as people who care, should give a startup for joe, showing what we do and was is recommended.

joe would crypt some passwords which are guessable anyway, and some files... (next thought: passwords need to be checked and rated for security)