View Single Post
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I've discussed this on mailing lists but want to add it here as well since not everyone follows those.

I am trying to get a grassroots pilot going for community outreach programs, primarily toward developers and enthusiasts. To that extent, I have the following going:

- developing informational flyer(s)
- networking with Nokia Maemo, Push N900 and Forum Nokia employees/representatives
- identifying potential groups and events for outreach, sponsorship and attendance
- reaching out to linux OS and related developer communities

Since I work full time at other employment I have to start small. I have focused first on the Dallas (Texas, USA) area with secondary plans for Austin (Texas). I have contacted local linux and Python groups... so far with, unfortunately, no response. But I will keep trying.

There are major events scheduled in Texas that should have Maemo representation IMO and I will of course lobby for that, but the local meetups are a separate and smaller activity that should be easier to address.

The main goal is to introduce people will likely be receptive to the Maemo ecosystem. Ad hoc analysis suggests that Maemo is still largely unknown at least to Texas linux enthusiasts and related developers.

The primary target is developers already in the open source world but also welcoming commercial developers. The Santa Clara Maemo developer event made me realize it is probably best that materials and agendas address both simultaneously so as to foster fast acceptance and cooperation that will be necessary as Maemo catches fire.

What I'm needing from this community is the following:

- ideas for event materials (I will be sharing what's developing)
- footwork in other regions to gage interest (I can't be everywhere!)
- ultimately, volunteers for regional meetups

Nokia employees have expressed support for this sort of outreach, but starting small until we can demonstrate sufficient interest. So let's build some data sets!

Feel completely free to say anything in this thread, and/or join the maemo-community mailing list.

Thanks!

EDIT: I certainly am focusing first on Linux and related developer types, but it doesn't stop there. Next will be testers, power users, and then newbies.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-01-06 at 21:45.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: