View Single Post
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
4. There is no MeeGo device out there, in fact even the core reference platform for it does not exist.
Bingo. This is the big question isn't it. Back when we were talking about Maemo 5 and Harmattan we were already seeing lots of "will not fix" in this release and pushing things off to Harmattan to be addressed.

Nokia has decided not to throw away their investment in Maemo 6 but the implied direction is Meego, the platform which you mention does not yet exist. If the Maemo 5 issues were being pushed off to Maemo 6 how soon ( and I know this is speculation) will Maemo 6 issues be pushed off to Meego. The issue is that Maemo 5 and Harmattan are legacy and from a packaging and ui point of view may not be consistent with Meego.

Now some argue it's all Linux what's the big deal and QT is write once and run anywhere, but we've heard that before right? We know that UI needs to be tweaked for QT even though it "technically" runs. Same goes for the Linux. Just because it compiles doesn't mean the UI framework is the same nor the packaging. Though it's not like re-writing everything all over again the fact is when the N900 is the only device with Maemo 5 (presumately there will be more than one device running Harmattan though in reality we don't know that either) will Nokia and the developers want to spend time with Maemo 5 for a small ROI? Wouldn't they want to work on OS'es that hit multiple devices that presumably has more customers and bigger footprint?

We're now even further down the totem pole. The fact is (if I may use that word) if we bumped up to Harmattan we enter the larger pool and will have support and also give Harmattan a bigger user / developer base. Ultimately isn't that a win for everyone?

Otherwise once Harmattan releases I think you'll see a sharp drop in activity regarding releases for Maemo 5. Why spend resources on the old platform when you have a current platform to fix bugs for a newer platform to plan for?

Very different than the Apple approach. Yes, you argue that it took them forever and really, they did take forever. The fact is though the benefits of that are that early generations benefit from future generations. Isn't that a good thing? Isn't that a model that should be applauded?

And Nokia openly claims that you should get N900 if you wish to jump on the MeeGo train. That says two things - they indeed value the N900, and that N900 will be at core level compatible with MeeGo even if it doesn't get he MeeGo itself.
5. For f. sake, you've purchased an open-source(ish) device so that you don't hold all your eggs in one basket, namely so that Nokia is NOT the one and only in charge of what will become of your device, now practice that privilege!
Well, I'm certainly not going to exercise my right to rewrite the whole OS. Thanks but no thanks. If what you're referring to is that we can run any OS I have to push back. Personally and it's just an opinion. I like the fact that you can create any Linux, but one of the biggest problems with Linux is continual fragmentation. While they are all at the core Linux, dealing with the nuances of each because someone didn't like this or that at some point gets counterproductive. If we're just talking Maemo 5 and Harmattan I think I can argue, 2 not too bad. But you throw in Meego? C'mon... 3 Linux variants in one year? You've got to be kidding me right? Seriously. I don't care how much better we are than Apple...

N900 is out there and it is NOW, what the future will hold for it and how the things will develop we cannot know, I don't think that even Nokia themselves have a very clear idea on that one. If you keep looking in the future ignoring the present you will never get a new device, as the next one wil probably be better, faster, with broader support... that's the nature of technical progress.
Again, I can't agree with you more, but I wish I could say that to Nokia about software. They keep looking to the future wishing the next platform to be even better than the current, Harmattan, Meego, Mer? Seriously. Stop. Pick one and stick to it...

Painstakingly typed on my N900
You have mighty thumbs. I'm on a laptop and I can barely get my words straight.