View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
My own answer is that at this point, my N900s are basically pocket linux CLI computers.

I gave up on using the N900 as a phone back around 2016, when the T-Mobile cell towers in the US were transitioning in ways that were leaving me with no signal in several places.

I gave up on using the N900 for web browsing around the same year, because once I accepted having another phone, it was almost always easier to just browse on that other phone - vastly faster and most webpages actually worked.

But I continue to use the N900 regularly - it's just that the only windows I have open are X-Term. Sometimes I launch Emacs, mostly for the aesthetic, but then I close it again and go back to the `vi` that comes with busybox in an X-Term when I want to get real work done.

I've compiled new versions of the things I actually need - libressl, openssh, curl, git, etc. So I don't get TLS errors or whatever.

Point is, I barely care that what's running on my N900 is "Maemo 5" or remotely like it anymore.

In fact, I envision my future eventually looks like me booting into just framebuffer consoles, just as soon as I figure out how to do all the tricky and fancy stuff like "connecting to wifi" and "getting battery status" and "adaptive brightness" and "battery charging" on my own. Maybe when I need graphics I'll boot into a minimal X environment, perhaps with Emacs+EXWM as the window manager.

I mean in an ideal world I'd still have a modern web browser and chat/email clients on a device like the N900, but the world's moved on in a way that makes that harder to do on a device with the specs of an N900, so I've largely accepted the "pocket CLI box" role for the N900 in my life.

And having accepted this, I just want the N900 to be the best pocket linux computer with wifi for mostly CLI use that it can be.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: