View Single Post
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
I still use mine as a daily phone.
I have just about filled the 64G sd card with music, & I listen to it in the car via the FM xmtr. Neither of my cars has bluetooth. I use a number of other apps on it often, too, like Firefox, Modrana, PyOBD, Symfonie, gpodder, cuteRadio, etc.

I've never had a problem with the USB port, but the slider switch is now inop & the screen is getting eczema & is having trouble reading touches at the upper left corner.

I literally cannot function without the internet clock radio created via shellscript, alarmed, & kmplayer. I have never been able to wake up reliably until I put this together.
Alarmed is such a great utility. I tried briefly the highest rated scheduling app in Android (Tasker I think it's called) and it stunk very badly in comparison.

N900 is still my daily phone, BTW.

In the spirit of the occasion, let me extol the merits of N900 for me, as a superb entertainment center.

- As you mentioned already, replaceable storage! Great to store tons of music or video. iDorks can only dream.

- Great format support, thanks to N900's FOSS nature. Play anything that the hardware can handle, basically.

- As you just said, FM transmitter! I have set up my N900 with the hacked driver that unlocks the transmission power, and I have a desktop widget to boost the power to 118, which makes the signal very clear in my car.

- cuteTube. Awesome YouTube player (and DailyMotion, and Vimeo). Easy to also download any video, or music. Perfect compliment to the massive storage capacity of the N900 (Transmission bit torrent client also says Hi )

- Amazing headphone out. Great sound quality, and able to drive headphones easily. Also, add to it Rockbox and a set of good cans like the Sony MDR-7506. and you basically have an amazing audiophile portable music system.

- Video out quality is superb for being analog. I use mine to watch movies on a DLP projector on a 70 inch screen, and it's like a portable theater in your pocket.

- FM radio capability.

- Transmission torrent client.

- Ability to easily record system audio.

Now, this is just a small facet of the N900 (entertainment functionality), but one where it shows that it's still better in many ways than phones released 5 years later.

I really hope the Neo900 project is successful. And to think that if things had been different we might now have a full array of devices (phones and tablets) running the newest generation of the Maemo OS. Screw you, Elop.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post: