View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
So I've been playing around with web browsers in Easy Debian (jessie). One option that I like is Midori which is available in jessie-backports. It passes all of the Cipher Suites tests from SSL Labs. It fails the Mixed Content Tests but it's not clear what are the implications these failures. I think I'm going to make it my main browser.

Here are some Midori usage tips if anyone is interested:
  • Make sure you install the ca-certificates package.
  • The first thing you'll notice is that it doesn't display the address bar due to the screen size however there are a few ways around that. The most practical one is to change the Toolbar Style to "Small icons" under Preferences.
  • It has a full screen option which is nice. There's a Shortcuts extension that can be installed to remap the full screen keyboard shortcut. This extension can be removed after configuration without affecting the the new mapping. Removing it probably slightly reduces the memory footprint.
  • It has an option to launch a web page as a web app (-a on the command line) which reduces the memory footprint (at least for single page viewing). You can do cool things like this:

Code:
    $ debbie midori -e Fullscreen -a https://m.uber.com
    Who needs Android or iOS for an Uber app?
  • Zoom can be controlled with Ctrl-+ and Ctrl--. The default zoom level can be set under Preferences. I've set mine to 0.75 to help get around the N900's limited screen resolution (although it does helps that I'm slightly short-sighted so I can actually read small text )
  • Something that I set up a long time ago on my N900 was to use Browser Switchboard (available in Extras) to disable autostart of MicroB. This causes it to take much longer to start up but the memory this frees up makes it well worthwhile in my opinion.

If anyone has any spare time, it would be nice to update the Midori and libwebkit packages in Extras to the latest versions.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2016-09-19 at 01:15. Reason: Figured out how to launch web apps in full screen

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: