Thread: mbarcode
View Single Post
Ok, so I'll add a DBus message which is sent out when a barcode has been decoded, and I'll add one that can be sent to start mbarcode and let the user scan a barcode (and then it will broadcast the result as above).

The other thing to think about is things like web-lookups, etc. It would probably be best if everyone can use the same set of services. Therefore it might well be worthwhile allowing plugins which can handle barcode data and return results (possibly as a DBus message again?) E.g. some webscrapers, AWS type services.

Not sure this needs plugins, just that I don't really want to have to code up webscrapers. I'd be more than happy to have these as a part of mbarcode, and allow external apps to ask for lookups over DBus, or perhaps something like this could be put in an external library so that any interested apps could use it directly (as really mbarcode doesn't need these if all the action other than camera & decoding goes on elsewhere)?

Another thought, related to DBus, is that applications could register an intrerest (e.g. in GConf), so that they will be woken by a specific DBus call when some payload type is delivered. E.g. the geo: tag could be handled by one of the mapper apps, which could be woken by mbarcode, rather than it having to specifically open mbarcode?

Your thoughts, as always, gratefully received.

I should probably also add that this app is in maemo-extras, be careful if you enable the repo, things in there may not work, so don't upgrade willy-nilly if you enable it. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post: