View Single Post
Originally Posted by bigdawgte View Post
Hi:
I believe I love knots even more than I loved my old n810 or n770. That's because it is, I think, in the right hands, "One media app to rule them all. " I have gotten it working well on my kids OLPC to stream video to the built in movie player app, because the XO has severely crippled/limited networking capabilities, overcome easily by Knots (web-based). Then there is the fact that knots is cross-platform and transcoding - and therefore extremely flexible.

Recently, I tried to get it working to serve video to an iPad, b/c my 880 is, for all intents..., dead, and b/c i want open-source and flexibilty, rather than the neutered pay for options which Apple allows. The iPad, as you may know, is severely crippled in terms of codec and format. I was not able to figure the right settings in knots, and whether to try to play in browser or via external player. I do know that I need h264 in mp4 format and I found some detail on ipad video format at the following 1 and 2.
Believe me I tried, but IOS is very crippled in that sense and I gave up. I think it's doable, but would require some big changes.

Originally Posted by bigdawgte View Post
Also, as to the OLPC, I only wish there were more clients for Knots 2, as it would be of great use to my kids (and kids around the world, using Sugar OS) to have a simpler way to access Knots2 video goodness. I see that the author has graciously provided the client source, but I wonder if a gnome or Sugar client could be compiled from that.

Any help, comment or suggestions greatly appreciated,; I sincerely feel that this is one of the smartest/best apps ever created for any platform.
I have a semi-working client for desktop too. It runs on latest Ubuntu at least. It needs hildon and osso libraries for your distribution so if those are available, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post: