View Single Post
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by gadgetChris View Post
I've a 'regular' phone and have still a Palm TX as PDA.
You should check out the Garnet Palm Pilot emulator. You can bring any Palm apps that you can't live without straigh across.

• I only use the phone for local calls and limit my overseas calls to when at home (with vyke.com!)
  • The Palm has my passwords, calendar, notes and shopping list.
  • Occasionally I listen to some music on the Palm.
  • Sign up for a skype account (don't use an underscore in your username), and buy a bit of credit to "skype out". You can then make international calls on the go to anyone you now call.
  • Passwords -> pwsafe. Calendar -> built in, or GPE calendar, shopping list -> xournal or maepad.
  • Music: Your MP3s will come right across. You can listen to last.fm or Pandora in the web browser.

Would I want to browse the web on a phone screen? Maybe when I'm on the can, but it seems really small?! (I still read without glasses...) How long can you read, when browsing through 3.5" ?
I do web browsing on the N900, an iPod touch, and various PC web browsers when at home--so it is usable even when you have the option. For longer sessions, I use the big screen and the full size keyboard, as you'd expect.

As far as readability, it depends a bit on the webite. But with the new firmware (51-1) you get a partially complete portrait mode browsing as well, so you have two different viewports to try and get the sizing right. There's also the menu setting of "text:large", but I don't use that myself. For this site, when I read it on the N900, I us the control panel and set it to "minimalist-dark" and read in portrait mode.

All in all it seems to me $600+ for an all-in-one gadget is steep. I don't see a need to be always connected...
Have you yet been always connected? It grows on you.

Honestly, part of the reason I have it is my commuting pattern -- the train and tube journey into London isn't quick, and I like to web surf and send emails on the move. If I still had a 20 minute drive to work I'd not need it for surfing or email :-), but I'd still want it for streaming music and streaming Internet radio. I often listen to French news, and I'd definitely do this on commute that included driving.

Would it be something for me, or should I just wait till my TX really dies, before joining the smart phone world?
I think you'll find the always connected aspect something you wish you'd grabbed earlier if you wait. When I get to a restaurant half an hour earlier than my wife (who left work late) I can login to my computer at home via the ADSL connection, and start a download. Check my email. Use skype to call family back in the US. Pull up a copy of Google maps showing traffic, and tell her that she'd be better getting of an exit early as the next junction appears to be a worse mess than normal.. All this regardless of whether the place has a WiFi access point...

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post: