View Single Post
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Hmm don't know if this is the right place to ask but I guess it atleast reaches the people who have the power to change it: Would it be possible for the custom operator widget to show the date as custom text? IMO it's a nice place to show the current date
I agree, it is a nice place to show information. However, the role of the CSD widget is showing the CSD name, that is all! To use it to show arbituary information is crazy speak.

A good way to put info up there is to use QBW (or any widget generation method you like that supports placing itself in arbituary positions on the screen) and to disable the CSD widget altogether.

On saying that, this is TMO, not XDA. We can do anything!

The information to be displayed in the CSD widget (the custom name) is simply a gconf value. We can change the gconf value and display ANY information we like in the CSD widget. For example, I have a little script stored in /etc/network/if-up.post/50_operator_ip that echo s the IP address of the currently active internet connection (wifi or GPRS) to the appropriate gconf value. This way, when I am connected to the internet, the operator name is in fact my IP address!

This has its limitations though. If you turn GSM off, the CSD widget is disabled and will not work.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post: