View Single Post
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
It's a mess trying to stream something other than MP4 when (for not so long) basically your sole choice is BHome(Pro) together with TouchPlayer, because as usual in the commercial mobile space every "app" is self-contained
I'll admit, that is a real pain. There's no long term future for webOS, but I still think in hardware terms, it's got a lot going for it. We just need to release the shackles.

BTW - to solve the streaming issue, with the latest update (3.04 I think), HP improved the codec support. While you still have the mp4 container issue, support for video codecs is greatly improved, so much so that all you need to do is demux your mkv, or divx content, and remux into an mp4 container and it will play very nicely, streaming over HTTP.

So, in effect, I have apache running on my local server (which is also running serviio for the rest of my DLNA empire), serving the mp4 versions of my files.

Pretty simple to do (pre-req is to have ffmpeg installed):

Code:
ffmpeg -i someMoviewOrOther.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy someMovieOrOther.mp4
Vigorous use of find will allow you to convert a whole raft of content if required.

Then browse to the content using the touchpad's browser, click on the mofo and whooooooof, served content in glorious 9.7". 720p content plays back nicely assuming you've got a decent wireless router.

Even nicer is the fact that the codec support means that it will play BBC Iplayer content (using get_iplayer) streamed across HTTP as well in the same manner, without any ffmpeg gymnastics.

I stick with webOS for media purposes and while I am still a bit iffy about Amazon Kindle (I'm an fbreader man), after using fontforge to masquerade the Ubuntu font as Verdana, I'm a lot happy with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post: