View Single Post
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Okay, just had two crashes in quick succession. It SEEMS to be some mix of actively having a GPS lock, and rapidly being made to change orientation between portrait and landscape.

Not sure. I was going back to dorm from the aforementioned second class, shut everything down except for Columbus and two X-Term windows, went into a Starbucks. I had locked the screen earlier with Columbus in portrait mode (status bar showing). I decided to check on it again. Lifted phone out in landscape mode, pushed the lock switch thingy - nothing happened, not too unusual, I'm never sure if it's software lag or a hardware glitch or me not pushing it all the way in - so I slid open the keyboard. Screen came on as normal, showing Columbus in portrait mode, and then Columbus closed/exited. I relaunched it, it got the lock back almost immediately. So I kept it open, status bar out (I think). For a while in line I kept rotating in one spot while slightly moving my hand around to see how accurately I could get the compass to report direction. Because I wasn't moving more than a foot in any direction, not very, but that's to be expected.

I grabbed a sandwich, ordered my drink, payed, moved into the waiting area. Some of these were done with the same hand that my N900 was in. I basically had it in my hand the entire time, so it got more random movements than normal.

As I set my stuff down and went to put my card and receipt away, I glanced at my screen and saw Columbus had exited again. My memory is not precise enough to be 100% certain if I actually SAW it close, or if it had closed since I last looked (which would've been within a minute at the most), and I don't like falling victim to all those little faulty quirks of human memory (in this case, being certain you remember something based on what you logically know about the situation, when you really don't necessarily remember it if you really pay attention).

So yeah. I tried replicating it when I got home, no success, but I'll admit, I didn't try too hard to walk around flailing my arm or anything like that.

In the four hours I've had columbus and other stuff running, battery got drained. I am pretty sure most of that was the browsing and wifi connectivity, but Columbus did noticeably contribute over time. (But not more than I would expect from something running the GPS system non-stop.)

(Edit - for the part where I did wifi browsing/VNCing, I had lxp's injection capable driver running, not the normal wifi driver. So there's a change that had to do with it. Doubt it, but it's possible.)
Thank you again for your time in testing, I'll look into the crashing issue, it may be completely unrelated to portrait/landscape but I'll see what I can do. If I can replicate it then I can fix it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post: