View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
[Sorry about dragging this further and further into the OT territory. I will shut up right away, I promise.]

@MartinK, I just see a difference between saying, "here is the source, build it yourself, improve it and submit amendments if you wish" and, "here is the source, run it". You may not see the difference because your code is the source. Mine isn't. I have successfully avoided scripting languages for 25 years. I appreciate there is a place for them but they are just not for me.

If you want to write your code as a script, write it as a script. QML is IMO a horrible mishmash and is neither here nor there.

Our views on security may differ too. Sorry if I got this wrong but I understand that your background is in the academia. That is very different from mine, which is computer security. In your background, the default is sharing. In mine, it is assuming that everyone is an attacker and giving away as little as possible.

One example: you know how, when you mistype your credentials at a login prompt, the usual response is, "the username or password is wrong". And you go all berserk, "why don't you tell me which one it is, you ***** ****?" The answer is that telling you could give the attacker too much information. I once closed my account for that very reason. It was with my mobile operator. To manage your account online, you could create an account and choose your username and password. Later on they changed it and made my phone number my username and I said no way. My phone number is public and this change made the link between my account and me immediately obvious.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: