Thread: [Fremantle Maemo5] Commercial Apps on Maemo
View Single Post
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
So, I can see both having a sample database for people to first play with the app, and an activation code to enable the whole database; or simply an activation code for the whole app. (Or, if nothing else, just the standard request for donations...) In any case, I don't see how I could stop folks from just tinkering with the app to bypass the payment system, so asking folks to act honorably would probably be the best deal...
One suggestion would be:
provide the open-source program in the usual way (maemo extras, etc.) and then, on request per e-mail plus payment you reply with an encrypted database that the user must place in a given directory.

You send the password used to encrypt/decrypt[*] to the user per e-mail (to the same e-mail as the one from which the request originated).
[*] Note: the database stays encrypted and is only decrypted in-memory. This prevents casual users from copying the database (but technically adept users will -- if so inclined -- dump the unencrypted database from memory to disk).

If the password is uniquely linked to the e-mail (e.g. password = hash(master password concatenated with e-mail), then at least there is a possibility of tracing a user who distributes the database with the associated password (because you can "reverse" the password by "cracking" it easily: your dictionary will be your list of registered e-mails, which, I hate to break it to you: won't be huge .

This would at least act as a deterrent for those who might consider "casually" giving a copy of the database to other users.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: