View Single Post
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Ouch, That's a bit harsh.

I agree slightly that the port of Mer to the N900 seemed to us on the outside to be a distraction, although I suspect that it was not a great amount of extra work compared with building Mer from scratch, and that for the Devs it may have been useful for debugging the desktop environment as the initial build was (and is) very slow on the N8x0.

I think that the Meego announcement caught most people on the outside of the Nokia inner sanctum by surprise. I can see why it makes a lot more sense to put the effort into porting meego to N8x0, than continuing to head down the mer path.

I'm no dev, but I can appereciate the effort that went into these projects, and am full of awe and respect for the people who largely give their time and experience freely to these projects.
I do apologize as it did come across as harsher than I meant. It's not that I don't appreciate and value the efforts put in - but after so many, at least perceived, sidetracks and abandoned efforts for the NEXT shiny solution I also can't help but to feel frustrated and wonder what could had been accomplished with a more structured/focused approach.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post: