View Single Post
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
(...) but 99% of my interaction with my bank is over the internet. If the site turns unfriendly, I would most certainly consider switching.

How does this app work anyway? I can't see how it could increase security. Proof of security theater (a.k.a. incompetence) would be another reason to consider switching. There was also a recent scandal in Finland when Sampo bank's java BS was reading all kinds of sensitive files on the users' systems.

It would be nice if Maemo supported java for other reasons than banking, but surely a VM can be installed under Easy Debian if you really need one?
Although 99% of my interaction with my bank is over internet, that last 1% represents the biggest chunk of money that I will ever spend on anything. That last 1% is by far the most important. For me, anyway.

Another point for me is that I always use my web bank sitting in front of my PC, with a bunch of papers in front of me. 800x480 and thumb keyboard doesn't do it for me when I need to type in 20 digit KID numbers. I don't know how it is with you guys.

As to the BankID application (which is actually just one of several java applets I have seen in regard to Norwegian online banking), I suspect it does lift the security somewhat:

International recognition
In October 2006, BBS and the Norweigan BankID Scheme were awarded the international "eema Award for Excellence in Secure Electronic Business".

However, I think most users find it to be more of a pain than a gain.

Last edited by volt; 2009-11-17 at 20:06.