View Single Post
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
Yes, 0.1.3 is installed and yes, I did this as root. Is there a general rule when to do such things as root or not?
Perform actions as user whenever you can. In this case you wanted yourself to be able to execute a file in your home directory - not root to be able to do so.

Root allows you to mess with the system.

Here's what I got:
Code:
~ $ chmod +x vlcremoteqml; ./vlcremoteqml

'import com.meego' is DEPRECATED and may cause 'Error: Cannot assign QObject* to PageStack_QMLTYPE_42*', missing icons, widgets and other problems;use 'import com.nokia.meego' instead

-- snipped --

~ $
This doesn't sound too good, right?
You can ignore all of that for now - isn't anything major. I should probably fix the meego / nokia.meego message.

VLCremote opened up by itself directly after prompting.

But still
- progressbar in "Now playing" shows actuall minutes, but not the bar itself
- filebrowser still shows nothing (137GB, 23.426 files in 1.800 sub-directories on my Win7/64bit running VLC 2.0.1) - too large?

Device still works so far, did not reboot or do any further testing.
Shouldn't have any impact on the overall phone at all. All you did was run a newer version of the same application (which does very little from a system perspective anyway).

Do you want to try setting up a new 'remote' for your machine - same ip and settings just a new Name for it and use that. It may be that some old preferences are causing an issue with file browsing.

Also, try clicking the banner File Browser with the heart in it. This should take you to your root (/) directory. do you see any files and directories listed?

Unfortunately, vlc no longer interprets ~/ as the users home directory and returns nothing at all. Clicking the banner on a new profile should give you the contents of /

If your music is organised by directory (rather than all files in one directory) the size of library shouldn't pose any problems. Your library sounds of a similar size to mine.

I'm now seeing the same behaviour of the progress bar - will look at that tonight.

lmk if this helps at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post: