View Single Post
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I get 10 PA and 10 media player vs. about 15 PA and 22 pianobar. 20% seems really high for PA.
There's a few threads around about high pulseaudio usage. It happens with anything that plays any sound.. watch your top when you receive an SMS you'll see it spike too.

The question I have: Is it 20% of 250, or 500, 650... the damn CPU is near constantly ticking up, down, up down, on my phone so I have no idea. If it's 20% of 250 that's not that bad.. if it's 20% of the full processor speed that's a bit of a nuisance.

If I watch it pyradio goes from between 10 up to 20 max, while PA is all over the place. Don't think I saw it go much below 15 though.. so how the media player only has it at 10 I don't know.

Interesting. In walking around my building, i actually thought there was a buffer in pianobar because the music seemed to stop awhile after going out of wifi range and take awhile to start after returning. Interesting to know it's just my perception.

Does the fact pyRadio uses gstreamer mean that it will playback properly through headphones in silent profile?
Nope, no buffer for pianobar. If you're in weak 3G areas it becomes apparent because it'll play half a second and stop, then again and stop, constantly. pianobar will play music the instant it gets a stream and that gets old quick.

Gstreamer, OTOH, if it loses network connection too long for some reason simply refuses to start up again . You'll just get silence until the end of the song and then it starts the next song and plays just fine (alternatively, skipping to the next song also brings it back.)

Silent: Just tested, No. (thanks Qwerty).

fatalsaint, can you please use this workaround or the one in comments 29/30? It's really obnoxious for my coworkers when i'm listening to pandora and get an SMS or incoming call and it blasts the notification from the speaker...
I will try. Let you know how it goes.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: