View Single Post
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Netherlands
I too have been longing and lobying for rSAP on the N900, a bit of my progress in this was done in this topic.

Sadly enough, as stated in that topic I have had contact with nokia about this mather, also internally with the guys developing meamo and also with the developer working on the bluetooth stack.

As of right now, there are no official plans of supporting the N900 profile within nokia. This could come, but right now it is just not the case.

There was a bit of light on the horizon though. The N900 or rather Maemo uses the bluez bluetooth stack, also used in android or openmoko as example of mobile devices. Desktops also use this for instance in ubuntu to connect with bluetooth devices.

As you can see in my other topic, there was someone working on rSAP support under the google code of summer project. Sadly enough, it seems all his worked stopped at a pretty early stage. I read somewhere some testing had been done, but nowhere near production ready. I have tried to contact the person in question, but recieved no reply.

Basically, as I see it. A bunch of programmers (or maybe just one good one really) needs to pick up where the other guy left off, finish the implementation and make it available within bluez. We could then use that branch of bluez on our N900's to test with it and in time, if that becomes good/stable enough, hopefully it will be merged into the default branch, and as such also give Nokia the possebility to include the functionality on our N900's/Maemo.

So as of right now, bad news to be honnest. Not any time soon, officially, but with effort, within forseeable future using a community effort.

I tried to create a brainstorm about this, but somehow I didn't manage to get it up there. I would think that is the first step.

Glad to see other people lobying for it too! It used to be a reason to choose nokia, because they had the only working implementation in symbian and actually understood it! Thus I also think it would be a beneficial addition to the Maemo operating system in driving sales, as the symbian models did for nokia in the past. rSAP is present (and mandatory) using pretty much any VAG (VW, Audio, Seat, Skoda, etc.) carkit (which in turn is a Nokia OEM module)