View Single Post
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by torpedo48 View Post
From the software site, lots of people from certain countries have received "limited" N900 (a guy from Serbia had GPS feature disabled, another has fm transmitter disabled) because of local laws.
GPS is not disabled in Serbia, and as far as I know no country prohibits it, but since the Nokia's acquisition of Navteq there are no maps for Serbia (apart the from the main roads), which is a cold shower as previous maps (while the app was called Nokia Maps and used EuroAtlas maps) were some of the best available (and that affected even the old devices as you can read HERE).

FM Transmitter is indeed disabled, even tho there is no specific law against that - I guess they just played it safe because that's somewhat in a gray area. I have several devices with low-range FM transmitters in them and they've all been legally imported. Furthermore, you can buy several types of FM Transmitters openly on the market that do exactly as the integrated FM Transmitter in the N900 - take any audio input and transmit it on FM frequencies. Even tho I'd hardly use it on the N900, I somewhat feel that I got lesser of a device than it really is (and for a greater price than almost anywhere in the world at that).

Last edited by zwer; 2010-02-07 at 02:58.